About Me

My photo
I'm a wife & mother. I live with my husband, our 2 children & the stinkbomb known as Gary. (He's a boxer.) Maybe I'm pleased as punch with my life on some days & maybe on others, I think of changes that must be made... You'll be, like, the 5th to know!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Maybe It's a Girl Thing

Annie Lennox of Eurythmics
as in a young girl....

After reading a friend's blog (http://lightenupweber.blogspot.com/2010/07/its-only-rock-n-roll-but-he-knows.html) I made a rather lengthy comment. Those of you familiar with me will notice such a tendancy. Here's some of her response to it, & my post follows.

Hey Kerbi! You just wrote a great blog post, girlie! Lol. Cut and paste and start a blogger account!

My 10 year old daughter asked me to put Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics on her iPod, so I tried, but it told me it was already there. (She has a Shuffle.) 
"It's already there!" I call to her.
"Oh, Dad actually did it?" she asks, walking into the room. 
I pull up the list of her music & show her. Along with Sweet Dreams, he has also apparently loaded Missionary Man & Who's That Girl?
She starts screaming at me, in a panic, "Take it off! I didn't ask for that!! I don't even know what it is!" 
Pat Benatar
I suggest she listen & decide afterward whether she likes it or not, wants to keep it or not. She decided Missionary Man was good, but Who's That Girl? was not.
"And while you're at it, please take off Johnny Cash too. I don't know why he puts that on there. I keep telling him I don't like Johnny Cash. He's trying to torture me!" 
I do as requested.
I asked her if she wanted anything else, as long as we were there.
"Like what?" She's so suspicious.
So I run through my 80s tunes... "Since you like Don't Stop Believin', I have another Journey song if you want to hear it & see if you like it, Stone in Love," & I play it.
30 seconds in, she crinkled her nose, shakes her head & says no.
"What about this? It's the same era, same kind of thing," & I play Foreigner's Jukebox Hero.
Again with the nose crinkle.
"How about this?" I ask hopefully & play Styx' Renegade.
Joan Jett
Nose crinkle.
"How about some rockin' chicks?" I ask.
I play Pat Benetar. No. Joan Jett.
"Mom, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but this music sucks."
WWHAAT????!!!
"I don't like guitar stuff."
BLASPHEMY!!!!!
But I keep my cool. I play Jack & Diane by John Cougar (no Mellencamp then.) There goes the nose! "I don't really like drums either."
I can't believe what I'm hearing. "So you don't really like music is what you're telling me- no guitars & no drums, 2 essential components of good music. 
Here. What do you think of this?" I asked as I played I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls. It's all I had left to try.
"It's okay," she says, shrugging her shoulders. 
"Do you want that on your iPod?" I asked with too much hope.
"Nope! I'm good!" And she bounds away...
I call after her, "What the heck is wrong with you?! How can you call something with no drum & no guitar MUSIC?!"

Selena Gomez
That's a true story. :-)

She likes Selena Gomez & Miranda Cosgrove, even Miley Cyrus..... (sigh.) Do these children really make music without guitars & drums?

And here is the rest of Dawn's comment. Didn't want to offer any spoilers.

I love the "nose crinkle." Well acquainted with that, also the "eye roll", which I have also perfected. How can u not like the guitar and percussion in Jack n Diane?! I agree. Blasphemy.
Miranda Cosgrove
 
 
 
*Ok, ok, I'll admit I added a few clarifications & tidied up my typos & such.
Thank you, Google Images for the, uh, images.
 
Now that I think of it, I guess I had a few years on my daughter when the music I (still) like was current.
Miley Cyrus

No comments:

Post a Comment