About Me

My photo
I'm a wife & mother. I live with my husband, our 2 children & the stinkbomb known as Gary. (He's a boxer.) Maybe I'm pleased as punch with my life on some days & maybe on others, I think of changes that must be made... You'll be, like, the 5th to know!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's Just My Luck, Baby

I may be giving my friend Robin, who writes Almost...But Not Quite, a run for her money in the ABNQ world.

An odd thing happened to me. First, let me set you up...

My children have been on a clutzy streak lately. We've had more broken glasses in the last 2 months than we've had in their whole existance. My husband contributed his fair share as well. So much so, that I had to buy a new set of glasses even though it hasn't been a full year since the last set was purchased.

I've pulled broken glass shards out of the cupboard, out of the dishwasher & out of the sink. I've swept them from the counter, the stovetop & the floor.

I like to be barefoot. You see where this is going.

Yes, I stepped on tiny pieces of glass. I knew instantly that I'd stepped on it so I immediately shifted onto my other foot & examined the bottom of the other. Yep. Glass. On my foot. Yes, that's right. That's no typo. It stuck to my foot but did not slice into my foot. I was able to just pick it off & throw it away. My older daughter was standing there with me, laughing that nervous laughter. "Sorry, Mom, I thought I got it all." I tell her it's no problem, no harm done. She laughs some more.

Later that evening, I felt a stab into the ball of my foot. Ouch. I picked my foot up but I couldn't see anything. I hobbled into the next room where I could sit in my chair & aim the lamp light directly onto the affected area. I still didn't see anything but when I brushed my hand lightly over the spot that hurt, I definitely felt something. I peered closer. I lightly swept away the dog hair that is ever-present in my house.

My Doodle love
There it was! The source of my discomfort! Not a sliver of glass as I expected but something incredibly weird: a dog-hair splinter. Yes, that's right folks, I got a dog hair splinter. The single piece of hair had stabbed the underside of my foot. And this is not the first time. Oh no. It's happened to me exactly 4 times...& once to my friend.

I find it to be the strangest thing. How does a soft shaft of hair penetrate the skin? I don't have nasty callouses on my feet but they aren't quite baby soft either. I mean, the skin was enough to protect me from the broken glass, right? And my Doodledogg doesn't really have coarse hair either.

My daughters were laughing uncontrollably. How does one step on a piece of glass with no damage but get a dog-hair splinter in the same foot in the same day? Only me....

2 comments:

  1. too funny! I have not yet had the pleasure of the dog hair splinter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doodle Dog is dangerous! lol . Sounds like something that would happen to Robin and I!

    ReplyDelete