About Me

My photo
I'm a wife & mother. I live with my husband, our 2 children & the stinkbomb known as Gary. (He's a boxer.) Maybe I'm pleased as punch with my life on some days & maybe on others, I think of changes that must be made... You'll be, like, the 5th to know!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pinterest, Baby!


SUNDAY, JANUARY 22, 2012

Pinterest, Baby!

I'm hooked on Pinterest. I know there are those of you out there that say you don't get it...frankly, I don't get what's not to get. It's name says it all- pin your interests.

For dreamers like me, I have pinned dream homes, fantasy kitchens, luxury bathrooms...& great ideas, crafts, recipes, general things I might like to try. I find humor too. (See my last post.http://maybebabyme.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=1)

You know how we like to <3 3="3" a="a" an="an" but="but" div="div" even="even" funny.="funny." gave="gave" giggle.="giggle." heart="heart" i="i" just="just" less="less" me="me" not="not" said="said" saw="saw" so="so" something="something" than="than" that="that" things="things" this="this">
Some things are easily accomplished, giving me a sense of satisfaction at not only getting something done, but getting it done successfully. Here is what I"m talking about-

What I saw on Pinterest

 
my version

how I displayed them through the Christmas season






Another project I tackled came out ok...not quite as nice as the inspiration, but it doesn't totally embarrass me either.
the beautiful inspiration


My somewhat uneven version





















Lemme tell you right now. It is not so easy to keep all the candy canes evenly spaced without a drift or twist from one side or another....but honestly, when it is not directly next to perfection, it doesn't look so bad. (Not like my cake pops.) http://maybebabyme.blogspot.com/2011/10/maybe-im-cursed.html  It is, afterall, dollar store flowers & a recycled pickle jar.

For some reason, I became obsessed with these monogram wall art pieces. And since I discovered Pinterest shortly before Christmas, my 1st few projects are Christmas themed.
 
inspiration

mine
 I bought frames at the thrift store & spray painted them a glossy red & framed this awesome $1 wrapping paper from Target that I fell in love with immediately. Letters from the craft store painted with latex paint left over from other projects &.....I liked it so well, I made some for others with their initial. The M just happened to have a mat that coordinated. On the other 2, I wrapped the mats & used scrapbook paper on the inserts. I attached the letter to the glass. It's $1 paper, remember. I think they turned out well.
for my friends
The friend that introduced Pinterest to me  found some inspiration as well.

 
Her inspiration

The 2 necklaces are her Christmas gift to me.
The 2 little rings are mine, & I haven't yet decided what I want to do. I thought maybe earrings. I thought maybe make a larger one with the same paper & put the 3 together like oOo on a necklace...I'm not sure, but the possibilities are fun.
cool stuff
Pretty cool, huh? The pendants are washers from the hardware store with scrapbook paper & glue...but not just any glue... You can do practically anything with this glue.


I tried to make something for that same friend, for her birthday, & it was kind of cute but didn't hold up. Sometimes experiments fail. It was a b&w photo on clear, irridescent beads...but mine is ok so far. Round 2 usually does work better than the original. Although, I will be getting more of those beads I made hers out of & doing a b&w one for me too. I did like the color...& funny thing, the ink bled just a tiny bit & made a faint pink & bluish hue in some small places so it went very well with the beads. Happy accidents.
 
The inspiration
 
Mine- with my Doodledogg
















Now some projects are just a wash. Fail. Not gonna happen (much like my cake pops.)

Hilarious results like these can be yours too! (like my cake pops.)

homemade bangle
bracelets
Can't do anything but move on from them. Here is one such project. I really liked the idea. But I soaked my stick for 3 full days & it still snapped when I tried ever so gently to coax a bend into it. My plan was to do like it says with the decorative paper, & then add that awesome ModPodge dimensional wonder to it so it was more durable. And glossy. I may try again...

So that's for the crafty side of me....but still there is more...

I never pin the fashion stuff. I am not so into it. I know what I like & what is appropriate for what function.

I never pin the super cool nail polish things because I know I'm not going to paint my nails. (It doesn't stay on me. It just doesn't. Not for 1 day.) If I ever had occasion, & I went to the salon & got that shellac stuff that stays on, then I would trust that the manicurist would know what cool designs she could do on my nails.

And I never pin the pretty hair designs because most of it for for really long hair & I recently cut mine, or else it's something someone else does for you...& I'm not in any weddings or anything....

But I do like to pin stuff for the house. You know I've written on houses before. I have discovered, looking at my boards, that I have a very defined style. (I may be slightly more varied in my architectural preferences.)

It's rustic with a smidge of elegance & a smidge of cottage, definitely not fussy. It's unmistakeable when looking at my "My Style" board. I have a style indeed. I also like to reuse, repurpose & recycle. Who knew?

But what I really like most is that it does get the creative juices flowing. I get ideas & a place to remember them. I have fabric swatches for sewing a duvet for my daughter's room. (I think I can attempt straight lines a little longer than the 8 or 12 inches I once managed.)

I made the pretzel-rolo-turtle things & they were freaking awesome. I made a few other things as well. And I packaged them in a reused Pringles can that I covered in wrapping paper with a bow on top & gave them to my trash haulers, my mail carrier, my kids' teachers, the bus drivers....& I got thank you notes. And one called me a genius.

Now if that don't beat all..... You could just think of it like this.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Oh Kerbs, you are great Pinterest success!! To my giant Fails. I love the necklaces and have been wanting to try that Mod Podge stuff. Looks fantastic, great post!! Great rcrafts!!
    Reply
  2. Man everyone is talking about that site!
    Reply

No comments:

Post a Comment