About Me

My photo
I'm a wife & mother. I live with my husband, our 2 children & the stinkbomb known as Gary. (He's a boxer.) Maybe I'm pleased as punch with my life on some days & maybe on others, I think of changes that must be made... You'll be, like, the 5th to know!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Maybe It's Just Another Monday


MONDAY, AUGUST 29, 2011

Maybe It's Just Another Monday...

♫ ♪ It's just another manic Monday 
I wish it was Sunday 
'Cause that's my fun day ♪♫  
My I don't have to run day 
♪ It's just another manic Monday...

Sing it with me.... I don't usually have too many complaints about Monday. Being a stay-at-home Mom, Mondays are usually good days. By 8:30, I'm on my own for a few hours to read, relax, or clean up after the weekend.

But this school year, something is different.

My oldest daughter, the one who doesn't wake up well, is in 6th grade. She has to get on the bus this yearbefore she had to wake up last school year. We are still adjusting. I'm not all too crazy about getting up at 6 am either. I haven't done that regularly since 1998! Even in August, it's still pretty dark. Can't hardly wait for February....

So on this particularly fine Monday morning, My child set her alarm a little early. She is enthusiastic about school. But her bus has yet to make it to school on time, & the driver told the kids she'd be earlier starting today, so my daughter thinks she has to wake up earlier...except that even though I sent her to bed, when I came up to bed, she was still reading. So this morning, her alarm went off a little early, & she didn't wake up. I woke up. Her dad woke up. But she never did. My husband had to go in & tell her to shut it off. And then they both fell back to sleep while I waited 20 minutes for my alarm to ring...

She asked me last night if I'd pack her lunch for her this morning since she had to leave earlier. (The earlier she has to be anywhere, the slower she moves.) So I put water on to boil for her mac-n-cheese, start to feed the dogs & hear, "EeeewW! There's vomit in here! At least, I think it's vomit. There's grass in it." So I only feed the dog that wasn't munching grass all night last night. I unload the dishwasher & put my cup under the Keurig & turn it on.

Then my husband comes into the kitchen. "Your dog barfed in the living room. I didn't feed him." As both of our dogs have been to the vet in the last 2 months with severe diarrhea, we are a little surprised at dealing with another digestive issue. Especially because his dog is still on antibiotics.

So the water is boiling & I dump the noodles in & turn back to the last of the dishes & my husband, dear that he is, is brewing his coffee before me, when I've been up twice as long & haven't had a cup yet & have been taking care of everyone else....Thank God a Keurig is fast! He then exits the kitchen & cleans up the mess on the floor. I guess he earned that sip of coffee first.

So I get my daughter's drink & pudding cup & plastic utensils & she comes in wearing a coral tank top & purpley-magenta-ish pair of shorts. "Really?" I ask when I see her. "You know I don't care for that together."  I'm not going to fight about it.
"I can't find any socks. I know I have socks & I have gym today," she tells me.
Since I don't have time to look for her socks, I tell her to get some of mine. It has to be 20 degrees or less for me to want to wear socks anyway. And I start mixing in the cheese as she disappears.

"Where is my other shoe?!" she calls frantically from the other room.
"Dare I hope you put them away the last time I asked?"
"Noooo," She didn't even respond to the sarcasm. She was actually answering the question.
"Well they were both there the 208 times I requested that you put them away."
"I need them! I have GYM today!"
"You have 3 pairs in the dining room for some peculiar reason."
"I need sneakers for gym." Duh, you're stupid is what I hear in the tone of voice.
"Well I don't know what to tell you. If you put things away, they would be where they are supposed to be & you wouldn't have to look for them. You'd know where they are."
"Found it!" She is completely unfazed.

I hand her the lunchbox & she runs out the door. The stupid dog is still looking at me because I didn't feed him. My dog is watching out the window. My husband comes in & kisses me good-bye. I've finished putting away the clean dishes & re-loading the few we just made & I hear the door...

"What are you doing back? You're going to miss the bus!" I do not want to drive her to school.
"I need something," she whizzes by me as if that is an answer, & out the door again in less than a minute, carrying a hoodie.

And I see my husband's coffee cup on the foyer table & look, & he's just backing out of the driveway. I take it out to him. "Her bus didn't come while she was in here, did it?" No. All is well. He drives away. I can finally let the dogs out. (I cannot put them out until he goes because they will get in the way of the vehicle. I think they just want to go for a ride.)

I watch & breathe & see my kid get safely on her bus at the corner. Ahhh, 20 minutes until the next one needs to get up. And I facebook. And I am reminded of an article I read recently that blamed parents for children being pokey or tardy or slow in the morning. We didn't let them get enough sleep or we aren't organized enough or we, in our panic trying to rush them can overwhelm them with too many orders at once until they just shut down. Whatevs. I call BS on that.

It's like that old saying, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I can put my kid in bed but I can't make her sleep. I can tell her where to put her things, but I'm not going to do it for her. She's almost 12!
She's almost 12, & she's never been a morning person...here, at age 6, at the most magical place on earth, she still didn't wake up happy...No school, all fun, & yet she's grumpy...but the mood doesn't last. She's a happy, silly kid in general so I guess an hour or so in the morning isn't the worst trade-off.

1 comment:

  1. "Well I don't know what to tell you!" Yes, that has been my favorite sentence since my daughter turned 11. I agree. It's THEIR fault, God love 'em, and they need to learn. No coddling from us.
    Reply

No comments:

Post a Comment